Before deciding on any photographer, there are a few things to make sure of beforehand.
1) Check their reviews.
- From Google, Facebook, and other social media reviews, people post their experiences online and those speak for themselves.
2) Do you have a portfolio?
- Look at the work they have done. If they have a website, this makes it even better. Make sure your style fits what you envision for your future sessions. Compare your portfolio with other portfolios that exist. Consider your editing style.
3) Most photographers specialize in different niches today.
- If you are looking for product branding, and the photographer specializes in a different niche, you should probably look for someone else.
4) Are they within your budget?
- Photographers' prices range from low to high. Some photographers will charge you $400, while others will cost you $6,000 for the same concert. Consider what you can afford, but don't let price be the main factor.
5) Make sure they have availability for the dates you have in mind.
- If you have a wedding in five months, check with the photographer to see if they have availability at that time. Some photographers need several months in advance. Book as soon as possible!
6) See if they have insurance.
- Don't be ashamed to ask them this question! Have peace of mind knowing that they are covered in the event of an accident, injury, emergency or damage. If you're a photographer consider using NEXT Insurance
Try to match your requirements with the strengths, expertise and compatibility of the photographer with your type of style. Always be sure to select a photographer whose style is what you want. You like light and airy, but the photographer shoots a dark and moody style. It's unfair to request the photographer to change their style to meet you. You're much better off selecting someone who fits with what you want. The world is full of wonderfully skilled photographers ready to meet you.